Rio Carnival 2019 Is Coming And We Can’t Wait!
The Rio Carnival is based every year in Rio de Janeiro in Brazil and it’s the biggest carnival in the world. The main event of the Rio Carnival are the parades of samba schools in the Sambadrome. But the fun doesn’t stop there! With parties in the streets, celebration covers the city for over a week, and the atmosphere is electric! Thinking of going, me too! Here’s everything you need to know for the full Carnival experience.
Mar 1, 2019 – Mar 9, 2019
The festival starts on the 1st of March 2019. The carnival always start four days before the start of the lent. There are two days of Preliminary the Friday 1st and Saturday 2nd of FMarch 2018. The two Main Parades will be on Sunday, February 3rd and Monday, February 4th. Tuesday 5th of March 2010 is the Children’s Parade and the Champions’ Parade is Saturday 9th of March 2019.
The Samba Parade is organised in the Sambadrome. Every year the schools organised a huge show.
Friday and Saturday Samba school’s parade is to gain a place among the 12 best samba schools, which will then parade Sunday and Monday. Each day 6 schools are putting on a show to gain as many points as possible!
Results are announced on Ash Wednesday the 6th of March and the top 6 schools will parade one last time.
Top Tips For Making The Most Of Your Carnival Experience:
- Avoid the crazy crowds and arrive at least 2 hours before the parade starts at the Sambadrome and take the subway there, it’s best to purchase your subway card in advance!
- Try to learn the moves of Samba to experience all Rio Carnival has to offer!
- Think about joining one of the Samba Schools, they are always encouraging visitors to join them at their show and to participate in the parade as a school member. Mangueira, Beija Flor, and Salgueiro are the most well-known, so don’t be shy!
- The Magic Ball takes place at the Copacabana Palace, this is one of the most important parties of Carnival weekend with most of Rio’s affluent, as well as internationally famous celebrities. If you still want to enjoy a great ball by spending less money we advise you to go at the Rio Scenarium, which was voted one of the top 10 bars in the world!
- If you want to experience the Carnival atmosphere, take to the streets like Rio Branco, the main street of downtown Rio, as well as Lapa and Santa Teresa where you will see “blocos”. Blocos are groups of people who play Samba in the street.
- Try to dress up in costume and fun face paints, it’s really important in Rio during Carnival
- Because of the heat wearing light clothes is a must, and be sure to drink as much water as you can!
Rio Carnival is a once and a lifetime experience! Check out the Bamba Carnival tour packages and Samba your way to Rio de Janeiro!